Friday, April 13, 2007

Dentist Drama

My kids have never minded visiting the dentist, except Chandler. He pretty much hates it. He went a few weeks back for a cleaning and check-up and he threw-up. He gets gagged really easy, I guess. It made it very hard on the hygienist and they weren't really loving the whole throw-up thing. They call me back and tell me it would probably be better if I take him to their other office for his cavity filling so he can get some "happy juice"..aka Valium. I think that sounds like a pretty good idea. Fast forward to this week. We arrive nice and early for his appointment so he can take his "happy juice" and allow time for it to take affect. As we wait to go back to get the meds a child is heard screaming their head off. Chandler looks absolutely petrified and I assure him "that kid did NOT have happy juice". Finally, Chandler is given a syringe with 5 mg of liquid Valium. I am feeling so tense at this point I am wishing I could take a swig myself. They tell us it can take about 30 minutes to take full affect but it is likely to only take 15. Ten, fifteen, twenty minutes go by. I am seeing no sign of this juice making him happy. I come to the realization that it is not going to work. Then they say if it hasn't worked by now it won't. Great. He is teary but says he wants to just get it over with. I felt I needed to be in there with him but it was not fun. He must have gagged 90 percent of the procedure. Luckily, not much on the stomach, so no actual vomit. He pretty much whimpers very, very loudly the whole time and I am now wishing I had taken the whole syringe of Valium, since it didn't help him anyway. By the time he was done he was exhausted. He came home and napped for three and a half hours. Poor kid. That was Monday. Yesterday, Kay and Meg had their work done and both did okay but Kayla was informed she needs a root canal ASAP. Nice. So, today we are heading to my friend Paul's office, who is the absolute best indodontist, for Kay's rc. Hayli just had one last month. You would think my kids teeth are awful but to look at them they appear great. Darn those cavities!

5 comments:

Sarie said...

That is a funny story. I can't believe the valium didn't work. So some kids just don't react to it then? crazy.

Anonymous said...

Poor little Chan Man! Had to laugh because you made the story so funny.Mom

Julie said...

Poor Chandler. Going to the dentist is not fun.
I need some of that valium right now for Andrew. I'm about to cut his hair and he's freaking out!

Kasey said...

Poor guy! Crazy that the valium didn't work. That's too bad. How miserable for him! And the dentist. Maybe next time they can just put him under?

Kelly said...

I can't believe the drugs didn't work. Poor Chandler. I feel for him. I am afraid that my kids will have the same issues with mine and Jody's teeth. I think I've had 4 or 5 root canals.