Saturday, March 24, 2007

Happenings.

Where has the time gone? Is April really right around the corner? Crazy!!
Last week, Megan had her last band concert and she did really great! Oh, those private schools are tricky...it was a band concert and Surprise! a PTO meeting also. Sneaky. I am a terrible PTO parent. Actually, that is not true. When my kids were in public school I was much more involved. But over the last six years I have been to very few meetings at their private school. (Although, I was room parent several times) The main discussion revolves around...please, give us more money, and please give us more money..and oh yeah, please give us more money. Seriously. I feel we pay enough money in tuition and other sneaky ways they suck money from us, like the $4.50 PER DAY PER CHILD lunches. Hello, whatever happened to the .75 cent lunch???
Moving on..this a cute story. This past Sunday, we were driving down my road heading to church. You have to know our road...we live in the country, where everyone has land and there are lot's of horses. It is also a dusty, dirt road that is kind of narrow. Anyway, we are driving and I see Sid (dun, dun, dun.) He is this cross between the old man in Toy Story and the old man in Monster House. He walks his dog everyday and I usually zoom past him and he turns to memorize my car make, model, plate number, and possibly my blood type..while spouting a few ugly words and the occasional fist in the air. Okay, maybe I am exaggerating but it has gotten around the neighborhood that he thinks I drive too fast..(and he does turn around and yell sometimes) So, as I drive by on Sunday morning I say, "Oh, go ahead look at my license plate you grumpy old man" (to myself but out loud) Hayli then says, "how do you know he is a grumpy old man?" To which I say, "Not only is he a grouch but he has a bad mouth too." I have to explain how I know this and blah, blah, blah. Fast forward to the next day...Hayli comes home from school and says, "Mom, I have really been thinking about Sid, the grouchy old man with the bad mouth, and I think I should make him some cookies and go say hi." I say, "uh, um, uh,... okay." (thinking to myself "are you crazy?") I make a couple of jokes about him coming out yelling and saying "get away from my house" like the guy in Monster House and other things I am now not very proud of and also tell her she can't go by herself. Megan is quick to say she will go with her. 45 minutes later with fresh, warm baked cookies in hand, Hayli and Megan drive the three houses down to Sid's.
Now, when she returns I notice she has all limbs intact and no noticeable injuries and she has a big smile on her face. She then explains that Sid and his wife are the sweetest things and she is from Germany or some place and how they met and he loves his dog and tears come to his eyes as he explains how much he loves his dog and that it is really old and about to die so he walks it everyday to keep him alive and I am feeling about two inches tall now. They chat about their life story and they are so glad Hayli came by. Let me just say, Hayli is truly about the best missionary I know. Honestly. I could write an entire blog with the missionary/service-oriented things she does on a regular basis. She is amazing.

Nickleback concert....UGHHHHH! Awful. I won't go in to details but we ended up leaving after two songs. I did not realize the lead singer had such a bad mouth..I mean FOUL not just bad. The girls were like, let's get out of here. I felt terrible because I was the one who bought the tickets but I was going by their last few songs out which were great.... live and learn, I guess. But it was very disappointing and very unnecessary. I will stick with the bands we know well from now on.
Today we drove to Hiriam, Ga. for the girls last tournament. It was sad to think this might be the last time they play together on the same team.
What else is new..oh, my house got rolled last night. Spring Break is a week away and we have rented a lake house in Big Canoe with some friends and their kids. It will be a blast! I can not believe the school year is almost over. I can't wait for summer! No alarm clocks, little schedule, lot's of playtime..love it!
P.S. What do you think of "october road"? I am not sure yet, it has potential.

4 comments:

Kasey said...

I can't believe that it's almost April either. Crazy! That's funny about your PTO meeting being snuck in. I feel like our RS stake presidency does that to us all the time. I'm our ward RS secretary and they lured us to a meeting last week that was supposed to be about emergency prep. Instead, we spent an hour talking about enrichment... Sneaky!! But I guess they know if they're up front about it, no one will come. Smart people.
What a great story about Hayli. She seems like the sweetest, cutest girl. I hope my girls are that sweet when they're teenagers.
Too bad about Nickelback. That has to be frustrating to have wasted your time and money on that.
What do you mean by your house got rolled? (toilet-papered?) I am totally out of the loop here.

Jen said...

Kasey-yeah, we got rolled as in toilet paper...I didn't even think kids did that much anymore.
Our RS is super sneaky. Our last meeting was "Girls night out-dinner and a movie" It was a visiting teaching conference. To their defense it was all girls,we did have dinner and they showed a movie (about VT) I am only bugged because I wish I would have thought about that when I was RS president.
As far as Nickleback, it was frustrating but it ended up being a good experience about "standing in holy places" or not, I should say. The girls were totally affected by it and they knew why they had such a terrible feeling and how bad it feels to not have the Holy Ghost with you. So it turned out that we had a great discussion and sang a bunch hymns. Crazy, but it was great.

Sarie said...

That is the best story, totally almost made me cry. It's amazing that there's good in everyone. It's the children that always remember to help us be more charitable! Good luck with everything, you sound busy but happy!

Kelly said...

What a great story. Hayli has always been such a sweet girl. I bet you were shocked to find out all those nice things about him.

I really like Nickelback's songs and am surpised to hear how bad their concert was. I love knowing that your girls wanted to leave and that you didn't have to force them or that they didn't get upset about it.

I think October Road could be good. I watched a little of it last week but I have a hard time staying up to watch shows that start at 10:00.

Yeah for spring! Especially now that I know I will be enjoying it in warm weather.